- D -
- Prefix used to designate the approved use in drugs and cosmetics, such as D&C Red#7.
- Double Boiler Hot Process. Hot process soap making using a double boiler to apply heat during processing.
- A tea or infusion brewed from hard plant material such as bark and roots.
- The process in which odoriferous matter is removed from an oil or fat.
- A petroleum based surfactant other than soap. Developed during WWII when soap making oils were scarce.
- Direct Heat Hot Process. Hot process soap making utilizing externally applied heat during processing.
- Dreaded Orange Spots. Small dark orange spots radiating to yellow occurring on the surface of cold processed soap. The primary cause is thought to be unsaponified oils turning rancid.
- Discounted Water Cold Process. A cold process method of soap making utilizing a lower percentage of water in the formula for a stronger lye solution.
Return to index